CAMP OUTS
T was super excited to go to his first scout overnight camp out in Payson canyon at Camp Maple Dell. It was very strange to send him off for the night- I'm so used to sending Z to camp outs. He had a great time camping with his dad and hanging out with the other scouts. He got to help pitch the tent, and he earned four Webelos pins.
Z also had a camp out this month. They went to Mirror Lake in the Uintahs. Z enjoyed swimming in the lake even though it was cold. He is one of the oldest scouts in the troop now and he likes being the 'leader'. J was not excited about the long drive but he loved escaping the heat- it was much cooler up there. With this camp out and then the week long camp out in August, Z will have earned his camping merit badge. He's doing a great job, working toward his Eagle.
Can't forget about the ward camp out this month. We always enjoy going for the good food and opportunity to visit with our friends and neighbors.
And of course, we love the camp fire and Smores!!
BASEBALL
J and I signed up to coach S's baseball team again this year. It is a lot of fun talking to and teaching the younger kids. Our team was the Nationals but as you can see, J is still a Dodger at heart.
S did really well. He had some great catches in the field.
He would crack us up because every time he got up to bat he would watch his shadow instead of the ball. I guess he wanted to make sure that he looked good! Funny kid.
We had 12 1st and 2nd grade boys running around. They were so funny, always worried about the batting order, and who brought the treat. I think they had a lot of fun but I think they were also glad for the season to be over- I know I was. It was fun, but exhausting!
Because the end of the soccer season and the beginning of the baseball season overlap a little, T ended up missing all of the preseason baseball practices for his team (the White Sox). He showed up at the first game very nervous because he didn't know anyone and he wasn't sure if he even liked baseball. When he got there they asked if he knew how to play catcher... he wasn't sure.
They put him in as the catcher and he never looked back. He has done a great job playing catcher for the whole season. It is not an easy position. His arm hurts a lot because of the amount of throwing, his face hurts from ripping off the face mask all of the time, and he is always dirty and exhausted after every game. Sometimes it is really hot and the catchers gear just makes it worse.
It has been really fun for me to watch him improve and have fun, but it is also stressful. I'm not sure why he always had to play the difficult positions like catcher and keeper, but I guess it's what he loves. Even though it is stressful watching, I'm glad he has done it- I can see how it has built his confidence and self-esteem.
He had some great hits throughout the season, too!!
FIFTH WATER HOT SPRINGS
Another Friday night with nothing to do- we decided to go for a hike. We wanted something close and after consulting Google, we chose this hike because it was supposed to be easy and it was a short drive for us. Was it easy? I guess it depends on who you ask. S did not think so! I think it was worth it though. The water fall was beautiful and the hot springs were nicely kept and fun for the boys (J and I did not get in). We didn't stay long because it was getting dark and everyone was starving. On our way back down we passed tons of teenagers and 20-somethings heading up. I guess it's a popular Friday night hangout for the single set. I'm glad we went, but I'm glad we finished early. I wonder what we'll come up with for our next "Friday night with nothing to do" adventure.
T at the trail head.
Z doing some climbing.
S at the waterfall- ready to go home. He didn't want to pose for any more pics!
SWIMMING LESSONS
Thanks to my friend April, my kids were able to go to swimming lessons again this year. I am in school every day so that I can be ready to teach in the fall. Because I have to go to class, there was no way that I could get the boys to swimming lessons every day. April was my life saver - I signed the boys up at the same time that her kids went and she took them for me. I didn't get to watch them at all, but they said they had fun and learned a lot.
BYU SOCCER
The 'pass of all passes' gets us into BYU men's soccer games for free so we thought we'd better go to at least one. BYU won this game very easily 5-0 against the Pali Blues soccer club.

Lots of fun ! We need to get together
ReplyDelete